Meeting Minutes – 10.17.17

10.17.17 Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Mike, Rebecca, Jeff, Whitney, Doug, John (late arrival)

Other Attendees: Logan (Potential MRVRD Member at Large), Drew (SE Group), Alice (Potential MRVRD Member at Large)

6:35: Alice & Logan – new board member option introductions.

  • We have 2 member at large slots. Both Alice & Logan introduced themselves, Logan was on the board previously, Alice has not been on the board before.

6:40: Review minutes from last meeting. Motion to approve. Seconded. Approved.

6:41: Treasurer’s report: Doug presented the Financial summary for 2017 split into MRVRD and DBA Mad River Park.

  • Two outstanding items that haven’t been paid – MRP and MRR – total of $20,500.
  • Need receipts, haven’t received to date.
  • Discussed bike share program and that the MRVPD discovered they had $1400 earmarked for this (from MRVRD) that was never spent – and owed to the MRVRD. Doug to follow-up with Josh Swartz (Ex Dir) to recoup.

6:53: SE Group – Strategic Plan

  • Reviewed and approved:
    • Vision
    • Mission
  • Discussed further:
    • Core Values – Drew suggested we table final approval till our final meeting.
    • Action Plan Focus Areas
      • Trails, Programming, Events have been discussed at length in previous meetings as the “big 3” areas of focus
      • Other focus areas (Organizational Capacity, Community Coordination, Grants, Park & Facilities) were then reviewed/discussed.  Discussions were wide and varied in looking to better hone/understand/define each.
      • Final focus area: Parks & Facilities. Added “Facilities” after last meeting to have it encompass other areas than MRPark (Skatium, Couples, future items such as a pump track, etc).
        • Next step is to package-up the management plan – all agreed.
        • Discussed need to formalize the management plan. All agreed.
        • Discussed other opportunities – pump track.
          • How this ties into trails, and the intersection of trails, convenient spot for folks to hang-out, while kids play, etc. Item for the 3-5yr plan, as we build out trail network (ie, don’t put the pump track before the trail, needs to go the other way).
        • Skatium:
          • What to do with this rec resource? Discusson reflected on the historical.
            • Drew – “Do you want to tackle the Stakium as a facility we’ll focus on for improvement/action?”
              • Yes. Doug will reach out to Don & Zeke to discuss MRVRD involvement on a more intensive level.
        • Munn’s Field:
          • Purchase and use as a campground?
            • High level discussion.
            • Drew: Don’t review this as a $ generator, doesn’t have the natural resource connection that is required, it opens-up additional opportunity for lodging for recreation enthusiasts.
            • Next Step: Review opportunity for camping on Munn’s field. And potentially elsewhere…
    • Other Projects and Deliverables
      • Discussed inclusion and exclusion of items discussed at last meeting:
        • Wayfinding – yes – discuss in correlation to Mapping portion of Trails committee
        • Recreation Directory -yes – review if this can be done outside of other efforts and what mechanism for publishing.
        • Sugarhouse Soundworks event at MRPark fields (once a year ) – yes, Mike to reach-out to further these discussions
        • MRPath – this rolls into Trails component (maintenance and construction)
        • Swim Lessons in the Vally – yes
        • Pro-active RFP’s for events and programs – yes
    • Discussed potential need for full or part time staff person (which in reality is a need for additional resources):
      • One option is to ask for more time from the MRVPD full-time staff – they have the experience in outdoor rec and could be a good fit.
      • Option 2 is menu – this project costs xyz.
      • Option 3 is paying for full or part time person
      • Action Item: Think about this topic leading into next Monday’s meeting.
  • Upcoming Meetings:
    • Discussed preparations for Tri-Town meeting on 11.16.17
    • Next meeting is Monday Oct 23rd
    • Meeting on Nov 7 to do dry-run of tri-town meeting
    • Nov 16 is tri-town meeting
    • Dec 19 (placeholder date) is review final strategic plan doc, will be sent to board 2wks prior).

Meeting Adjourned 8:35p

Meeting Agenda 10.17.17

6:35- Treasurer’s report
6:45- Meet and greet with wonderful people who are interested in being on the board: Alice Rodgers, Matt Lillard, Logan Cook, Liza Walker and Brent Pearson
7:00- Strategic Planning continues with Drew
The meeting is at 4061 Main St in the General Wait House

Minutes – 9.11.17

Notes 9/19/2017 Start: 6:40 PM

In attendance: Whitney, Rebecca, Doug, Mike, John, Jeff (phone).

Minutes not shared yet from last week’s meeting (9/11/17)

Mark from SE Group

  • Reviewed what was covered in the last meeting
  • Signage, programming
  • Events
  • Organizational capacity and growth

Whitney on Facebook usage

  • Creating events – everyone does their own on our page
    • It becomes the central distribution pipe line to all the organizations getting the information to their peeps
  • We may be in the best position to work hand in hand with the chamber

A collaboration with the Planning District needs to be intentional and purposeful. It could be great and there are positives, but it needs to be for the right reasons.

Future Meetings – write these down

Tuesday, October 17

Monday, October 23

Tuesday, November 7

Tri-town Meeting – TBD

Meeting came to a close at 9:00 pm

 

Meeting Minutes – 8.15.17

Notes 8/15/2017 Start: 6:50 PM

In attendance: Whitney, Rebecca, Luke, Mike, John (phone).

Minutes approved from last month

Mad River Park

  •       Closing dates moved from 8/18 to 9/5.  Reason: wait until stormwater permit and ACT 250 appeal processes close.
  •       All hands meeting 9/5 (6-8 pm) in Fayston:  Stakeholders, Pavilion folks, Eric Sigsbey from Sugarhouse Sound scheduled in attendance.  Purpose is to discuss management, leases and future projects w MRP.  Meeting will mark official transfer of all things MRP to MRP field Committee.
  •       Moretown agreement – Michelle Beard will be step down after purchase and new Moretown Rep will join.  Field sub-committee level will decide any decisions concerning the field.  If controversial, goes to board and 2 members from Moretown.
  •       Signage-  Design of rules sign in process.  Parking sign completed.
  •       Field upgrades- need cost estimate for 3 years.  Seeding, Aerating and adding compost.
  •       Lease upkeep of the fields on users, port-a-potty, rule enforcement, gravel lot and trash.  MRVRD will pay for mowing, insurance and storm water fee.
  •       Pick-up gentleman’s agreement drafted.  Includes request to work field days.
  •       Festivals and Events agreement to be created by field committee
  •       Pavilion meeting to determine costs, final design, size, orientation.
  •       Path around field.  Mad Dash donating proceeds to path around the fields.   MRP Committee agreed to path as long as it does not impede field space and there is room.

By-laws – Reviewed final document.  Created from MOU, references Policies and Procedure. District members in attendance signed document.   

Attorney said  that we need a vice chair to mirror our MOU, and it can’t be treasurer or secretary b/c in the mou they are allowed to be same person.  Mike Nucci was nominated by Rebecca and 2nd by Luke, all agreed and Mike didn’t fight too hard.  Luke motioned to approve, Mike 2nd.  All agreed.  Need signatures from Doug and Jeff

Policy and Procedures (internal operating document).   This document may change and need to be updated as things with the district change. Those in attendance initial current copy.

MRP Party When: September 9, 2017.  9-3 youth soccer 3-7 ultimate game/adult soccer.  Vendors in afternoon.

  •       Cornerstone for Beer Garden.  Sweet Spot for ice cream.  Home Plate for sandwiches.  Bill Wilcox and Noah’s Fizzy pending.
  •       Bands: working with Eric Sigsbey  Sabouyouma and Big Ragged Shack  $750.
  •       Parking Cabot and Waitsfield Telecom will allow us to use lot. Will rent bus to bus from Telecom.
  •       One additional port-a-potty
  •       Traffic vest and garbage cans loaned out.

Strategic Plan Outcome Discussion about what is working with the development of plan and expectations.  

Trail Summit Meeting – Trail Summit created on September 6 from 4-6 pm. Objective: Provide contacts and communication between community groups engaged in trail-based recreation in the MRV, identify shared priorities and develop actionable steps for further collaboration.

Meeting came to a close at 8:50 pm

Meeting Minutes – 7.19.17

7.18.17: Attendees: Doug, Mike, Rebecca, Jeff, Whitney, Luke (remote), John (remote)

Others: Liza Walker, Drew Pollack SE Group

6:34: Meeting commences with a quorum

Past meeting minutes voted on and approved unanimously.

6:35: Mad River Park Discussion:

  • MRP Sub-committee met prior to the MRVRD.org meeting to discuss finances of the Mad River Park.
  • Discussed setting limit for two signatures – $1000.
  • Discussed having an audit / Treasury report at every meeting
  • $5k earmarked from Erin Chase for Pavilion.
  • $10k from Mitler Family for maintenance, enhancements, etc.
  • Discussed how to structure the financials for pavilion vs maintenance/improvements, etc.
  • Closing date: Land & Water grant is potentially delaying 8.1.17 closing date. Have a yr long lease, need to close by Dec 1st.
  • Celebration scheduled on 9.8.17 for soccer jamboree, is this in jeopardy?
    • Shouldn’t be.
    • Question is if we can include strategic plan elements into the celebration.
      • Drew – yes, this seems very reasonable.

John Stokes leaves the meeting.

6:50: Strategic Plan – Led by Drew

  • PowerPoint presentation from SE Group to assist in leading discussion. Each slide not fully notated here.
  • Reviewed MRVRD Vision: “enhancing the Mad River Valley’s way of life through recreation”
    1. Should we better define ‘recreation’
    2. Yes, we should. Luke: We should define recreation priorities, not saying we outright eliminate those items.
    3. Drew: Good exercise to define recreation, but not within the mission statement.
  • Mission: “to facilitate and enhance recreation opportunities throughout the mad river valley”
    1. Discussed how broad/narrow this should be. Some committee members discussed need for this to be physcial in nature, others that it should be more broad. Goal is to spend time thinking about this between this meeting and next and each come back with action words/concepts to nail down the mission / vision
  • Core Values
  • Goals & Objectives – defining categories
    1. Debate and discussion over high level categories.
      1. These are mostly settled and Drew takes action item to further flesh them out before next scheduled meeting.
    2. Determined that initial focus of Goals and Objectives will be to create a reasonable action plan for 3-5yr timeframe – voted to keep our thinking within this timing construct for now, in order to create G’s&O’s that are actionable in short term and iterative for the longer term.
    3. Discussed meeting schedule / next steps for finalizing Strategic Plan by late October.

8:35 – Sub-committee discussion

  • “Homework” given for each sub-committee chair/member in relation to their sub-committee.

8:45 – Meeting adjourned